Sustainable Pot Luck
August 16th, 2009
A group of friends from my monthly women’s small group rallied yesterday for a family-friendly outdoor potluck at our house. There were eleven adults and six children under the age of three. Whee!
We’ve been reading a collection of essays on faithful eating (the concept that our Christian faith should impact the decisions we make about food) and so the theme of the day was Sustainable Potluck. We had all agreed to try to bring a “green” dish — organic, local, natural, etc. Menu items included:
- Couscous salad with black beans, corn, and red peppers
- Fresh corn salad with tomatoes and sweet onion in a rice vinegar and lime vinaigrette
- Fresh corn salad with zucchini and feta cheese
- Green salad with fresh blueberries, walnuts and feta cheese
- Cabbage salad with mandarin oranges
- Freshly baked homemade bread
- Locally produced farm cheese
- Yellow watermelon
- Organic lemonade
- Fresh berry mix (raspberry, blackberry, blueberry) with whipping cream
Need I say more than YUM!?