Things I Love About Christmas
December 25th, 2013
I’m writing this post a couple days before Christmas. On the Big Day itself, I plan to be immersed in family and food, far far away from my computer.
I haven’t been blogging a lot lately because my youngest beloved offspring won’t sleep. That’s a post for another day, but let’s just say that Little Bird loves me so much that she cannot bear to be separated from me, even in her sleep. Thus, my free time in the evenings has been limited!
That said, it’s been an awesome Christmas season. My favorite time of the year, for sure. I love everything about the holidays. The decorations, the music, the magic. Having kinds intensifies all that and I’m nearly delirious with joy. Or maybe it’s sleep deprivation. Either way, here are ten things I’m loving this holiday season.
1. Little Bird’s stocking. I wasn’t sure I’d get it done. But I did and it’s perfect! Each of the three now has a mom-made crazy quilt stocking. Little Bird’s is blue, Buggie’s is the green, and Miss Mouse’s has the red and white.
2. Receiving my first made-by-my-kids-without-my-knowledge ornaments for our tree.
3. Buggie’s tendency to run around the house singing Jingle Bells, clad in shorts, snow boots, and his super-hero cape.
4. Watching Miss Mouse show off her new ballet moves at the end-of-session dance class.
5. Hosting a cookie-decorating party for a bunch of the kids’ Montessori classmates. Not everyone would consider it wise to confine twenty-five preschoolers in a room with a bunch of frosting and sprinkles, but I loved every second of it. As did the children, as evidenced by Buggie’s cookie creation, right. I swear there’s a cookie under there somewhere.
6. Birdie can crawl! Look out, Christmas tree, here she comes!
7. Triple ginger cookies. (And I am not alone in my appreciation of them…)
8. The fact that my parents have been in town since November and have gotten to enjoy the whole holiday season with us.
9. Doing a family advent wreath, lighting the candles and reading a kid-friendly devotional each night. And the fact that the thing Buggie most anticipated about Christmas Eve was the chance to – finally! – light the white candle in the middle.
10. Matching Christmas Jammies.
Merry Christmas to all!