Scientific Proof that Nature Abhors a Vacuum

March 5th, 2014

You know that thing you learn in high school science class – that “nature abhors a vacuum.”  I have irrefutable proof of the veracity of that statement right in my very own home.

Behold, the kitchen sideboard.

Sideboard

I clean this darned thing off regularly.  Okay, somewhat regularly.  Okay, when we have company coming for dinner.

But no matter how often I clear it off, it immediately repopulates itself.  The current contents include, but are probably not limited to:

• 1 hunter orange stocking hat (belonging to Josh)
  • 1 spritz bottle full of blue water (for painting the snow)
  • 4 cans of soup that didn’t fit in the pantry when I put away groceries
  • 1 rogue dollar bill
  • 3 napkin rings
  • 1 hand mixer (and two beaters to said mixer)
  • 1 game of BINGO
  • 2 cookie cooling racks
  • 1 bottle of garlic powder
  • 1 stack of mini muffin cup liners
  • 1 straw explorer hat
  • Instructions and recipe book for my new crock pot
  • 2 water pitchers (one belonging to the church, one that lives in my basement)
  • 1 Christmas platter (no idea why that is out now)
  • 1 plastic canister of rice
  • 1 spiral notebook
  • 1 mixing bowl (on its way to my parents’ house)
  • 1 package of staples
  • 1 bag of assorted baby stuff (en route to Best Friend)
  • 1 bag of bananas
  • 1 set of repositionable stickers
  • 1 water bottle

And that’s just what I can see in the picture…

Ah, the things I do to bring science to life for my family!

7 responses to “Scientific Proof that Nature Abhors a Vacuum”

1. Meg says:

Ooo I hope that best friend is me! I have something for you on my sideboard type area, too! Though I doubt it’s as fun as that Mystery Bag of Baby Goodies.
    What am I bringing you, you may be wondering?
    Ok, ok I’ll tell you: one of your tupperwares. :) Are you thrilled?!

2. Meg says:

Plus, I’ll bet said Tupperware ends up on your sideboard.

Vive le Science!!

3. Jo Burkhalter says:

So funny and so true! I am wired so that these kind of manic counter-fertility outbreaks make me mental. Particularly when stressed, I like to make my world exceedingly neat and orderly. The months leading up to Grace’s departure for college I spent hundreds of hours spic-and-spanning every drawer, shelf, and closet in the house.

• Kate says:

Yes, I can totally relate. We’ve noticed that I get most testy at home when the house is particularly disastrous. Not that it makes me keep things in better shape – this knowledge that it makes me crazy. No, no. I just get crazy, then clean, then repeat.

4. Isa says:

My whole house looks like your sideboard. Almost all of the time. I am currently blaming it on winter + pregnancy–I clean and organize, but then the thought of dragging all of that stuff to charity through the snow with my giant belly is just Too Much. So it sits. But gall-durn it, I am going to do some real spring cleaning this year, because once these kids are here my guess is that it won’t happen again for a good decade.

5. Cindi Frye says:

Thanks, ladies. You cleared up some things for me. It must make me feel my life is secure when the dishes are done, or the kitchen table cleared off. So I’m feeling very insecure right now. Even though my son is coming for dinner, here I sit, on the couch, semi-immobilized. I think I need counseling…and maybe a drink…