June 16th, 2014
The kids and I are coming off a week-long vacation at my parents’ house. It was phenomenal. And exhausting. There were a lot of awesome memories. And a lot of screaming sibling fights. I’m choosing to reflect on the fabulous parts of the week, and I consider that my prerogative. Thus, eight things I loved about this week.
1) This selfie Miss Mouse took.
2) Spending Father’s Day with my amazing dad. The older I get, the more of him I see in myself…and the cooler I find those moments of realization.
3) Biking everywhere! My parents live right on the edge of their lovely small town (which is quite a lot larger than our SmallTownUSA) and we bike a lot when we’re there. We biked to the park, to the bakery, to the library, and just around the town because it’s fun.
4) Santa’s Village – a very fun kiddie amusement park for young children. The appropriate age range is about three to ten and there are a host of rides perfect for the kiddos. They went twice last summer and have been clamoring to return ever since.
5) Catching up with friends. I met up with three of my best buddies from middle school days and their assorted children at the lake for an afternoon of splashing, potato chips, and sand castles. There were seven kids ranging from one to seven and all had a great time.
6) The natural history museum in my hometown. It’s mostly comprised of a very extensive formerly-private taxidermy collection and it’s pretty cool. In the picture below, Buggie’s “theatrical prompt” was – “Pretend the bear is eating you!” He was also a big fan of the tableau of a lion leaping onto the back of a gazelle, teeth bared.
7) Birdie in safety goggles at the Children’s Museum. She refused to take them off for about ten minutes and tottered around the museum wearing them. It was hysterical.
8) Above all else, what I love about our week at my parents is…my parents. They devote themselves utterly to making the vacation magical for their grandchildren and the result is a series of truly spectacular memories.